Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Recent Canon New Product Announcements

The all-new EOS 5D
Great camera
Good to see full-frame prices drop
I'll never spend that $$ just for full-frame

The upgraded 1D Mark II N
A surprise: Same sensor, same framerate, same controls.
I'd have expected at least the 9-way joystick from the 20D, if they're going to the trouble of changing the model number and firmware.
At least they're not making you pay more for that bigger LCD.

24-105/4L IS
Kinda surprised, kinda not.
I know many people wanted this lens.
But others (including me) would prefer an 18-50/2.8L. An L-class normal zoom for 1.6x cameras would be great. After all - Nikon makes one.

The one announcement that will benefit me. This means the flash I buy will have:
  • More power
  • Manual control
  • 2nd-curtain sync
  • Less bulk
  • Less weight
  • Faster recycle time
  • Same price (presumably) I was already planning to pay
It, too, is a surprise. I've not heard any complaints about the 420EX. I have, however, seen Canon lose many 420EX sales to Sigma's EF 500DG Super. That lens already has these features for the same price, plus it can act as a wireless-TTL master unit

I'm still hoping for a 20D replacement in spring.

No comments: