Thursday, August 30, 2007

mono vs Visual Studio

I've had to do some investigation of VS2005 recently at work, and I'm reminded of just how easy Microsoft can make things. It's really a nice environment. Much better than VS2003, which isn't entirely bad itself. But the decision to use it at home would represent a submission to the Microsoft juggernaught. A well-paying, life-easing master it is, but make no mistake - it shares first place with no one.

But my thoughts always stray back to mono. I can use mono on Linux, which is quickly becoming my favorite OS. I can also use mono on my Macbook, which is the only laptop we own (currently). And I can still use mono on Windows as well, for those times when I must again get paid.

The note I set on Windows Messenger at work sums it up: Linux+mono for freedom, or Windows+VS for plush, thumb-sucking ease? However will I decide...

No comments: