Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Relaxing at High RPM

I may be the first guy in history to say this (the first guy to admit it?) - I'm borrowing my mother-in-law's sports car this week.

My mother-in-law - that quiet, unassuming little lady - just bought a Mazda Miata. For the gas mileage (yeah, right).

She then made the mistake of taking my wife and kids with her husband to Iowa for a week.

She may never see the Miata again.

It's my first real experience with a sports car. (Purists: Maybe you don't think it's a sports car, but I sure think it is :-) Claustrophobic, hot (the gearbox), noisy, rough, and touchy. Sometimes I think I'm riding on gravel in a shopping cart because of the suspension. But it's FUN!!! It rockets away from red lights, and that 50-50 weight distribution makes me look forward to turns. How I'll ever go back to my positively boring Honda Accord I'll never know. But Carrie tells me I need to cool my jets, that it's "not the right time" for us to get a two-seater. >sigh<

Yesterday she called and asked what I was doing. "Going for a drive," I said. She wanted to know where I was going. Then she wanted to know why. I think she's been a mom too long - she's forgotten that it can be fun to just drive on a windy rural road and enjoy the wind, the trees, the hills, and the turns. She never really understood what I was doing. I never cared.

Anybody want to buy a used Accord?

5 comments:

not up to code said...

I should probably delete all the nasty comments I made on your blog lately. But, hey, it was fun while it lasted.

No comment on the Miata. How 'bout a road trip to west Tennessee for some venison? Sounds like you'll get bored with the circus on the road to Iowa. Big show?!

Anonymous said...

Red devil on shoulder: "Buy yourself a sportscar. You've earned it."

White angel on other shoulder: "Tisk, tisk. That wouldn't be practical."

Phil: [Takes right index finger and flicks the white angel into oblivion as he signs the papers on a new Ford Mustang Cobra.]

Anonymous said...

So, Vicki gets a link on your blog, but I don't.

Do you need some help with your html or something, good buddy?

not up to code said...

Never mind Mark - he is just jealous that you love me more.

I need your advice on a new digital camera. I have a Nikon CoolPix 990 with all of 3.5 mega pixels. It was all the rage back in 2001. It's time to start saving my loose change for an upgrade. I talking a real camera. I'm not a point and shoot photographer. Heck, I built my own pinhole camera years ago and got some really nice results. I leave the point and shoot photography up to my camera phone.

Phil said...

Camera advice: Canon 30D or Nikon D80. If you have more pennies (or you're willing to plumb the depths of your couch), you can get the Nikon D200 (which I have) or the Canon 5D. Don't forget to save some pennies for a lens or two, though.