Thursday, June 28, 2007

Interesting Take on an Interesting Email

I subscribe to the CodeBetter.com blog. Very interesting stuff (if you're a programmer).

Apparently an email that was circulating around in Microsoft has leaked out. It's a "transcript" of a conversation between a Microsoft manager and their new hire - a former Google employee who had worked at Microsoft before. The topic of the conversation is comparing Google's work environment with Microsoft's. It's been commented on a thousand times. Now I've finally seen it and read it.

Here is a CodeBetter post commenting on the email. (There's a link to the email at the top of the post.) I pretty much agree 100% with his conclusions. See what you think:
http://codebetter.com/blogs/eric.wise/archive/2007/06/27/google-not-for-me.aspx

4 comments:

not up to code said...

You really shouldn't sneak around and look at private conversations.

I'll be the first to respond.

Private offices are for the type of programmer who's egos are responsible for global warming.

Only real, true, super genius types can actually manage 100 direct reports. So which are you?

If your aren't smart enough to create your own advancement path then you should be one of the 100 direct reporters.

Phil said...

I work for people I don't even SEE except once per month, and that's only if they've got enough expense money left to take me to lunch. I'm still trying, but creating my own advancement path is proving difficult.

I don't really understand your comment about "private conversations", though. I'm much too loud to do any "sneaking around".

not up to code said...

I'm just saying that perhaps these were private conversations and you shouldn't be lurking around them.

not up to code said...

I forget how hard it is to get you mad.