Saturday, September 15, 2007

iPhone Whiners - Part 2

A good friend of mine left a comment on my last post implying I had cried many a sympathetic tear for those early adopters that Apple cheated. This post is intended to clear the air on that. (This may sound like it contradicts my last post; it doesn't. But I'll explain that in a minute.)

Even as I wrote that last post I was still thinking about what kind of person would immediately buy a high-priced bit of technology the day it comes out, then publicly whine when it gets outdated/cheaper/old.

This is technology, people. The price/features curve (or price/performance, in terms of computers) is moving all the time. People know that living on the high-features end of the curve costs considerably more than living on the low-price end. For me, it's a matter of finding where on that curve you can comfortably stay.

My cellphones are almost always the free kind. My iPod is still an iPod Mini (bought just after they came out in early 2004). My computers are never cutting-edge hardware. (I made an exception when we bought our MacBook this year. Watching it get outdated a couple months later did not even phase me, and we have no plans to replace it. It's our first laptop, and we're still thrilled.)

I grew up with a friend who ALWAYS had the latest stuff. He had the money to buy it, so I never begrudged his purchases. And he taught me the valuable lesson on how to be content with yesterday's stuff.

I am a computer programmer by trade. Computers are what I use day-in, day-out. Of course I'd prefer a dual Core2Quad with 8GB of RAM and a RAID-5 array. Of course I'd prefer a 17" MacBook Pro fully-loaded. Of course I'd prefer the iPhone 8GB with a maxed-out service plan. But my kids would be hunting their own dinner instead of playing in their sandbox during the day.

So when I read that some "early-adopters" are whining because their new toy just became cheaper, I marvel at their lack of character. Did they think that buying an iPhone in its first two months of availability was a wise investment decision? Did they expect the iPhone to remain at the same price/features point indefinitely? Have they purchased any other smartphone (or computer or other gadget) the day it came out, then cried when it became cheaper or outdated?

The only entity showing good character here is Apple. Though doubtless they had the same thoughts I did, they nonetheless responded by offering those whiners half of the difference in store credit. I have no illusions that this response was necessary. It wasn't, and I think Apple surprised many by being this generous. But Apple loves its customers, as it always has, and its customers generally love it back.

Now, on contradicting my last post: My last post was a counter-point to the PCWorld.com article I linked to. I think they misunderstood what was in the minds of those whiners when they whined. I do not, however, have any sympathy for the whiners, even though I believe I know what they were thinking.

And finally, full-disclosure: The iPhone was out of my price range when it was released. I admired the technology, and drooled like many other middle-class men boys at another gadget desired, but out-of-reach. Now, however, the iPhone is more accessible. Carrie and I both plan to get one...when we've saved our money, which will be after the first of the year (around 5 months from now).

But if they come out with a new model 1 week after we buy ours, I'll just pull out the marvel of technology in my pocket, smile gratefully, and go on my way.

2 comments:

not up to code said...

Thanks for the clarification. I was worried about you leading a sweet christian family with the values of an i-pod enthusiast.

The real reason Apple consumers have been whining is because they are soccer playing communists who believe every person in (the people's republic of) America should have a brand new i-phone supplied to them by our (glorious)government.

I myself just bought (with cash) a new dell (allow) computer with a flat panel (allow) screen, 2 gigs ram (allow) dual processors and something like 3 zillion gigs hard drive.... running windows vista. My old computer with 20 gig hard drive and 16mb ram and windows 98 is running simultaneously and I feel like a regular computer nerd. I force Nathan to (allow) boot up his laptop if he wants to get on the Internet (allow) because I must not be bothered to give up any of my computer usage just so he can check out (allow) the latest Kentucky score. I am doing (allow) important things here!

Anonymous said...

Good post, as usual, Mr. Phillip.