Saturday, September 15, 2007

iPod touch vs. iPhone after 20 minutes

Ok, ok. Carrie and I visited an Apple store today to see the iPod touch and the iPhone.

We're locked in a contract with Sprint, which in my mind had put the iPhone out-of-reach. And since the iPod touch is supposedly an iPhone with out the phone, I thought I wouldn't be giving up all that much.

WRONG! Apple seriously crippled the iPod touch! I suspect the reason for each feature cut was a demand made by AT&T that couldn't be overruled by Apple. Here's what I found:












iPhoneiPod touch
SafariYesYes
YouTubeYesYes
CalendarView/Edit/AddView only
MailYesNO
WeatherYesNO
NotesYesNO
SMSYesn/a
PhoneYesn/a
iTunes WiFiComingYes


Boy was I bummed! The iPod touch is definitely NOT an iPhone without just the phone! The inability to enter calendar appointments is a big loss to me - it keeps the iPod touch just a tease away from being a true PDA. My memory is AWFUL, and entering reminders as I think of them is an essential feature. Looking at that calendar link on the home page would just be a splinter in my mind, reminding me that I have a second-rate device.

So Carrie and I are scheming a way to get iPhones in a few months.

2007-09-16 Update: I found this much more comprehensive comparison of iPhone and iPod touch. Looks like there was more missing than I noticed.

2 comments:

not up to code said...

don't cheat yourself.

Anonymous said...

I suppose it goes without saying that your dad already has the iPhone?